Wednesday, June 25, 2014

More Plans and the Ulysses S. Grant House



a24June__1We were zonked after our drive back from the San Juan Islands. Waiting for two ferries added an extra few hours to our day but we finally had that behind us.  I sat down to write my review of our kayak outing to post on Trip Advisor and on Yelp.  I usually do that.  Before it was posted I got an email from the tour company.  I sent him the draft post.  He asked us to come back and go on another tour.   Of course, they want us to come back.  I’m thinking the tour company wants another $195 from us!  That’s not going to happen.We will certainly go back to the islands but not for a while.  

It didn’t take long to start planning another trip to Port Townsend. The problem is we don’t usually make reservations well ahead of time and the good parks book up early.  We wanted a week in a waterfront site so we could take the kayaks back and forth to the water without loading and unloading them.  All the premium sites were booked but we did get a waterfront site for 4 nights.  We’re hoping someone cancels and allows us to stay longer.  We also booked a week in another park with a waterfront view but I can’t tell our friend, Joe, where that is yet because it’s just a backup.


pointhudson 2ndone



chromepass

I currently have a project.  It's to transfer all the personal stuff off of my computer and onto Terry’s.  It’s time to get mine into the shop and get the screen to stop blinking.  By using the “transfer program” it was easy to get this done.  I also deleted  all the bookmarks and the passwords stored on my computer and especially those stored on the internet browser.  It’s not that I don’t trust the computer techies ……….. but I don’t trust them.   Anytime you take your computer in to get it fixed, you’re putting all your personal information into the hands of the repair person.  That’s something I’m not interested in doing.
 



_24June__1

Monday was my day to spend with Michael.  He’s out job hunting and I thought of a few places he might want to look.  For lunch we stopped at Wendy’s.  I love salads with a few strawberries and blueberries added in and make a few of these myself.  They happened to have a new one on the menu.  It was awesome.  So, what did I have the next evening … another one just like this but without the chicken.  Yummy!



b24June__3
The US Army arrived at Fort Vancouver in 1849.  Right to begin with they built nine log cabins.  The US Grant House was the first one to be built.  It was eventually covered with plank but we did see some of the original logs inside the home.  

The house was the home of the Commanding Officer at that time.  U.S. Grant never lived here but he was stationed here and visited often when he was a quartermaster.  The home has served many purposes over the years including a home to an Officer’s Club and even a brothel …. or so the rumor goes.  It was named Ulysses S. Grant after his many achievements.


b24June__5 b24June__8

We had planned on eating lunch at the U.S. Grant House many times but never seemed to make it …. well, we never made it until Tuesday.   I love unique places to eat.  This one was especially unique and the Reuben and fresh fruit, perfect.

b24June__9
Nummy Reuben!
b24June__14
Built as quarters for the post commander in 1886, the house was named for General George C. Marshall who served as commander of Vancouver Barracks from 1936-38. 

There are still many reminders that Vancouver has been around a long time.   The Barracks are still intact and many buildings have been updated and converted to office space and even to homes.  The town started as a fur trading “outpost” on the Columbia River about 1824.  It was called the Columbia District and served as the headquarters of the Hudson’s Bay Company.  The name was changed to Fort Vancouver about 1849 when the fort was established.   Today, a full-scale replica of the fort has been built and is open to the public as the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.
 
856CA6F1-1DD8-B71C-0EC7E4D8BD9CAB59











Many of the original buildings are still around.



b24June__20 b24June__21

 That's what we've been up to plus a few trips back and forth to the local kayak shops.

‘Tis life on the road.


I know only two tunes; one of them is “Yankee Doodle” and the other isn’t.  -- Ulysses S. Grant


17 comments:

  1. Good idea to clear all data from your computer and a full back up before taking it in to the shop.
    I have an external hard drive I use for backup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I prefer backing up to a hard drive or two.

      Delete
  2. I bought a click free back up at one of the rallies and I back everything up, when I balance the checkbook. It's nice we can use it for all 3 computers. Hope everything goes well with the computer man--there are good ones and then there are.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 3 2TB drives I use for backup but this time I wanted this stuff on a backup computer just in case I needed it while my computer was in the shop.

      Delete
  3. We've been there. Good post Jeri, interesting. (especially the food)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sent me to look at fast food salad selections. Too bad I don't like blue cheese. Glad you enjoyed your salad and everything else, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed our visit to Fort Vancouver. We didn't eat in the Grant House though. I loved looking at the old buildings.

    I think Wendy's is my favorite fast food place. I love their salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy's has several different salads I love. This one was fantastic.

      Delete
  6. We also have the Click Free like Jan and I try to back up about every two weeks. Helena is definitely lacking in unique places to eat. Hopefully when we get on the road this fall we can find a few of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like Helena is the place for new restaurants to consider if there isn't much in the way of competition.

      Delete
  7. Hmmmm guess I need to spend a little time with Google Earth tonight. LOL Looking forward to seeing you guys again and I guarantee the restaurant I like over in Pt Townsend is still there.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget Google Earth ..... we've already cancelled one reservation. It's that chalk or Jell-O thing.

      Delete
    2. Well Sharon just booked us into Discovery Bay for the 8th, so we will be over there to join you guys for a bit.

      Delete
  8. I know one place NOT to take your computer... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your pictures of Fort Vancouver.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.