Monday, December 1, 2014

Don't Pee in my Beer !


The other day fellow blogger, Peter, of the Peter and Bea duo, posted a blog about reminiscing.  Actually, he called it going back to childhood. I loved reading the story because it was a fun blog.   It’s amazing all we need is one little trickle of someone else’s memory to get our own mind working.  The story he reminded me of isn’t really mine.  It’s my dad’s story and he aliceMHughes2told it over and over again. 

The only picture my dad had of him with his mother.  This was taken shortly before she died.

My dad and his barely older brother lost his mother, Alice,  before he turned two years old.   My grandmother was not happy when she discovered she was pregnant, again.   Her own mother had just died when she made that discovery and she was pretty depressed.  What did she do?  Well, she tried to abort the unborn baby by using a rusty coat hanger.  Instead of aborting she developed blood poisoning and died not long afterwards.  Alice’s 17 year old sister stepped in and took care of the two little boys for a few years until she married.    My father’s childhood was a difficult one without his mother.

After a couple years with his aunt, the two little boys went to live on a ranch with their grandparents in Leakey, Texas.  Now how many of you have ever been to Leakey, Texas?  I bet not very many.  Anyway, the ranch was in the middle of nowhere.  He told many stories about rattlesnakes, riding horses to school and just not being familiar CharlesASandel0133with modern conveniences.  His bathroom consisted mainly of the outdoors or outhouses even though there were some inside chamber pots too.  The river was used for bathing.  I’m sure you get the picture here --- no inside sink, no inside toilet, no inside bathtub and absolutely no inside running water.

My Grandpa on his first trip out of Texas 

Eventually, his father remarried.  That wasn’t necessarily a good thing for him.  His father’s new wife had children of her own and didn’t really want to bother raising her new husband’s two boys.  So, when small they pretty much lived with their grandparents in Leakey and attended the grade school there.  When they were a little older they moved into Kerrville and attended the school in town.

Dad and his brother did visit their father occasionally but they were still backward little country boys.  Modern conveniences such as bathroom facilities were foreign to my Dad.  He had never been in a “modern” bathroom before.  That is, he had never been in one until his first visit to his father’s new house in Kerrville.  Grandpa was proud of all the new facilities in the house.  When my dad needed to “relieve” himself, he didn't know where to go. Grandpa proudly pointed towards the inside bathroom.  Dad was confused.  He had no idea what the fixtures in that room were forWine-Beer-Barrel-Cask-1433495.  Remember,  he was a country boy.  In the corner he discovered a big barrel and figured that was the “toilet”.  It wasn’t.  Needless to say, his father was pretty upset when he discovered his son had peed in the beer he was brewing and not in the toilet next to it.

  An old fashion beer barrel –  similar to the one my dad “soiled”.

Dad often told the story about the beer barrel and imitated his father’s voice when he found out his beer had been “tainted”.   We always got a good laugh out of it.

Thanks for the memory, Peter.


‘Tis life on the road.

Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.

21 comments:

  1. What a great story !! Brought back memories for me as (in the very early years of my life) we didn't have indoor plumbing either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry was a country bumpkin too. He didn't have indoor plumbing and went to a one-room schoolhouse. :)

      Delete
  2. The only thing that would have made the beer story more funny was if your Dad had kept it secret that he'd pee'd in the beer!!

    It sure sounds like your Grandfather had a pretty sad and perhaps lonely childhood. It also brings home, to me at least, the potential consequences of Gov. Rick Perry and his Texas legislature doing their utmost best today to try and return women like your Grandmother to the 'rusty coat-hanger' days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stated what I thought when I read this post, Rick. Texas isn't the only state, either.

      Delete
    2. And, Barbara, you stated what I thought.

      Delete
  3. Excellent story thanks for sharing.
    We I was young we lived in the city to go to school, but on the weekends and vacations year round we went to our cottage by the lake, even the two months of summer vacation. We used the outhouse, no running water and the bath tub in front of the wood stove or the lake in the summer for bathing. The cottage was not insulated so in the winter we slept in our snow suits, hats and mitts. But ya know they were the best times. No Tv and no phones either, just good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cottage sounds like most folks in their RVers today and we don't really think we're roughing it. Thank goodness you had snowsuits to sleep in. They were the good old days because we didn't know other folks had it any better.

      Delete
  4. Love these stories. Wish I had paid more attention to my folks and grandfolks when they were alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had written down more detail and listened a little better too.

      Delete
  5. HAHAHAHA....great story. I am sure dad never lived that one down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this story - kind of served him right for not taking care of the boys. These old stories are fast dying with our parents if we don't already have them. My mom used to talk about when she was young, but I don't know much about my dad's childhood. Next time I talk to him, I'm going to ask some questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. These old stories are dying out. We only seem more interested in them when it's too late to record them. I think they used to do more story telling because that's what they did instead of watching TV like we do today.

      Delete
  7. And I thought crying in your beer was bad enough! :cD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since I don't drink beer, you're more than welcome to either cry or pee in it.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the Kudos, Jerri. I sure enjoyed your story big time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is interesting to go back and look at family history. My family was fairly tight-lipped about our ancestral history, although my mother did tell us stories about the Sears Roebuck catalog in the outhouse when she was a young girl in rural Kentucky. I have managed to dig up some history through genealogy sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting. The tight-lip may be because they didn't know much or the secrets. I think many families had their secrets. I've sure uncovered some of ours and I do find it interesting too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.