Thursday, September 4, 2014

First Leg of the Trip – Utah Bound


Lack of good sleep seems to be common lately.  Tuesday morning I was up at 4:00 AM.  Yes, it is still dark around 03seo02here at that time of the morning.  Maybe I was thinking about everything I had to do.  Maybe I was just ready to get up. Whatever the reason, I was up.  I figured I’d take a nap later in the day to make up for the loss of sleep.  The nap never happened.  

Tammi’s checking in.  I did it online the night before  curious about the TSA PreChk.

Getting ready for a trip takes a bit.  Clothes were washed and packed.  Duchess’ bag was ready to go and even Terry’s food supply was checked for the couple of days I’d be leaving ahead of him.  Then, it was off towards town.  First I met Lee, Sabrina and Jordan for a bite to eat and then over to Tammi’s to spend the night. 

03seo04

Wednesday was another early morning.  It’s darker at 3 AM than it is at 4 AM.  I just thought I’d add that in case you didn’t know.  That was the time we rolled out of bed for our early morning  flight.  The drive to the airport in Portland was about an hour away.  I mentioned on my previous blog that I had read that the TSA was going to start charging for their PreChk. There was no way I was going to pay but hoped I didn't get knocked off their list. Getting a boarding pass stamped with TSA PREChk can save a long, long time in line.  However, we both had the TSA stamp of approval on our boarding passes so we whizzed right to the front of that line.  Thank goodness for small things.

03seo05The Delta flight to Salt Lake City was a breeze.  Even though my standby ticket only rewarded me with a middle seat.  It was an enjoyable flight ….. I slept all the way.  First thing I always do is put those armrests down and mark my territory.  Of course, there was a little wresting over the armrests but that was soon solved too.  Last thing I like are the “wings” of my seatmates in my ribs.

Family History Library



The rest of the day Tammi worked and I spent it at the Family History Library .  It’s not that I found much I was looking for but I did enjoy reading dozens of local county history books. 

I took a little time to walk over to Temple Square and 03seo06check that area out too.  Perhaps, I’ll have a chance to walk around a little more with Tammi before her flight heads back to Portland and mine heads on to Norfolk.  Of course, Tammi’s flight leaves at a decent hour.  Mine’s a night flight  which should be a great sleeping flight since it's going all the way across country.  I’m just wondering if I can stay awake long enough to get on it so I can sleep.

Pioneer Log Cabin

Needless to say, Wednesday evening we both zonked out early. 


‘Tis life in the air.


You define a good flight by negatives: you didn’t get hijacked, you didn’t crash, you didn’t throw up, you weren’t late, you weren’t nauseated by the food. So you are grateful.

8 comments:

  1. Love that final quote but it needs to have something about those knee bracer things that are causing so many problems. Hope you can recline your seat without getting in a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fast check in but wknt pay for it either. I will just suck it up and stand in line.

    Safe flight to Norfolk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SLC to Norfolk is one very long flight. Sleep well, friend. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are moving right along all the way across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes....that fun dance that is timing "sleepiness" with when you can sleep! After hopping on a commuter flight every week for three years I'm not missing the airport experience too much :-). Still, it's a wonderful way to travel, and I'm okay with heavy security because I am very valuable cargo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you didn't cause a near riot on your flight by reclining your seat right back. Seems folks are getting real riled up about that lately....air rage...what next?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I strongly dislike the middle seat. Give me the isle any day. Of course standby travelers have no choice. But it's much better than sitting on the wing... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you spend more time in the air than on the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.