Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thursdays Thoughts


This is one those blogs with a little news, a few thoughts and some gripes.

Temperatures have been in the upper 90’s where our little cabin is hiding.  It’s been hot and our air conditioner duchess66hasn’t been working.  We hope it’s the thermostat because we bought a new one even though it hasn't been installed yet.  However, with the weather cooling down we may not need it for a while.  Temperatures  are finally dropping and should be down to low 80's and upper 70’s soon.  Now that sounds perfect to me. 

Yesterday we made a trip to town with Duchess.  She gets so excited when she discovers she gets to go.   We didn’t tell her it was time to visit the vet and get her nails trimmed.    At the vets we were a little surprised when we were asked to sign a form promising not to take her medicine ourselves.  Evidently, people use their dogs as an excuse to get pain medication for themselves.  Who would have thought!  

a4s_CHECKOUTCHARITY0902123_11419549_8colI don’t know about you but I certainly get tired of being asked at every store I visit to donate to their current charity.  The concept isn't new but has become so commonplace at grocery stores, drug stores and even restaurants that I bet most shoppers also get tired of it.   This week we were asked to buy school items that would be given to local military families.  Since there is no military base, we were wondering what military families and where.  That’s not to say we don’t donate occasionally because we do but there has to be a stopping point because we can't continually give.  

Charities collect lots of money in this way but before I donate I make sure I'm familiar with that charity. Besides that if we give today, how soon does the money actually get to the charity.  Also, does the store keep a cut? Stores can collect large dollar amounts at checkout as it’s easier to get money out of someone when their wallet is already open.  As an example, JC Penney raised $10.4 million in six months by just asking customers to round up their purchase to the nearest dollar.  Regardless, I still get tired of being asked with every purchase I make.


marieHere’s another one of my grips – commercials.  We try to record most of the shows but can’t do them all.  If we could we’d skip through the commercials. Marie Osmond and the discovery of gaining 50 pounds is really getting old.  You’d think by now she’d just accept the fact that she gained the weight and be done with it! 


Tear jerkers aren’t fun to watch either. Whether or not the person on the screen is someone who has been helped or not, you know that person has been told to cry so they can film it.  The idea is to get YOU to dig in your pocket and send money.  Whatever tactic works best, they’ll try.  I’m not saying these are bad organizations.  They aren’t.  They’re wonderful organizations and it’s just the commercial I hate.    Some report that  about 80% of received donations go to fund their programs. 

What I have never been able to understand though is why they ask you to donate and then spend money on supplying blankets or magazines to the donors and not the animals or the people.  If I’m going to donate, I want the money to be used for what I intend it for.   If I want a blanket, I’ll buy my own blanket.  honor-giftWhy not give those blankets to organizations that take care of the homeless pets or people that could use them?

We recently discovered a no-kill organization in our current area.  There are many homeless animals and having a local organization to feed and care for them is a real plus.  However, there is a downside to some of these organizations.  We know many RVers who have tried to “adopt” homeless pets and been refused.  Why are they refused?  They’re refused because they have no fence and travel around the country in their RV.  Many of these people would be the best “parents” ever.  They spend 24 hours a day with their pets and take many long walks with them each day.  The pets are pampered and loved.  Never are they left alone and without companionship in fenced back yards.  Due to restrictions and even background checks (yes, background checks), many homeless animals are not allowed to become adopted by loving “parents”.  How sad is that?

Something new to us was having a recent restaurant server  use a credit card reader at our table.  We were given a choice of 22%, 20% or “other” for the tip?  Hmm .. Sometimes our tip may be in that range but not all the time.  The “other” requires yet another screen and a few more questions.  Interesting for sure and the credit card didn’t leave our sight.

‘Tis life on the road.

If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

14 comments:

  1. I do like the fact the credit card never leaves your sight, but not the suggestion 22 %, I always tip well for good service, I don't to be reminded to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've used those card readers for at least 10 years in the European countries. I've always wondered why we don't. I don't get the same feeling being asked to donate as when you donate to something spontaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely header photo. How are you doing the sizing? Are you taking panorama shots?

    Our church does a outreach program with the military and school supplies and military supplies.

    I like the idea of the credit card not leaving my sight, but refuse to even a suggestion of how much I should tip. We totally tip according to service....period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On headers I crop the part of the picture I want to use a little larger than desired size. This picture was then resized to 960X280 pixels. Sometimes I have to pull it into Photoshop to lower quality in order to get the size of the image under 100kb and especially if I've used one I've processed in HDR. Occassionally a panorama works but usually not so much.

      Delete
  4. Boy did you hit on a few of my gripes. I've become very good at saying No at the checkstand. And I am so tired of those commercials that rip at your heart for the animals and children. They spend most of the money on junk to send to people who donate. Drives me crazy so that is another No for me. And do not suggest a tip amount for me. That just makes me want to tip less than I would. However, we were at the Vet's yesterday and I didn't have to sign any form saying I wouldn't take the girls' medicine. That is strange. Duchess is looking good. Give her a hug from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason we had to sign is that it is a pain medicine. Some places it is compared to codeine and other places to morphene in how it works. That's all I know. I had to Google it when we got back.

      Delete
  5. When I worked for the YMCA in Richmond, we had a back to school program for low income families. Some people would just fill backpacks and some would donate money. We used to take the kids shopping at Target. Each had a certain amount to spend for clothes, shoes and such. At the register, we had to use a hole punch on all the tags so the parents didn't bring the clothes back for the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like you actually knew the right families were getting what they needed. The problem I've seen in the past is that sometimes families are on every list. I've seen some receive more donations and gifts during holiday time than most folks do.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on all your gripes - it's a good list.

    We've had the Visa and Debit card mobile readers here in Canada for quite a few years now. Most of the time, they allow you to either enter your own percentage or a dollar amount. I like them especially since my card never leaves my sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like the mobile card readers...hate it when our card leaves us to go who knows where. We had identity theft and credit card numbers stolen and used several times that we are really skeptical about cards taken from out site but we have yet to see one at our table but we think it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only time I really get annoyed at the donation push is at the grocery store when the card reader asks if you want to donate and then the checker asks you again! No, I did not change my mind in the past 10 seconds, and yes, I understood the question! The mute button on the tv remote became my good friend about a year ago - there's always something else for me to look at while the big, sad eyes are on the screen. We donate regularly to several organizations - after researching and then following up later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And yes, weight loss. Have you seen the most recent cover of "O" magazine. Give all the credit to the photo fixer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being back in an apartment we are once again getting all those return address labels and Christmas cards free with a request for a donation. I don't donate to those organizations because I don't want to encourage this behavior. Besides I already have enough return address labels to last me the rest of my life.

    Another one that bugs me is the booths at the state fair that have prize drawings. They are collecting information for their mailing lists. They are very surprised when I don't sign up for things I don't want to win--after all it's free, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. After 30 years as a military family, I can say I never saw any charity helping out military families. Makes you wonder.

    But there is an annual charity event called the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) that is kind of forced on military members and federal employees. Although you don't "have to" contribute, there is a lot of pressure to do so. A huge catalog of literally thousands of charities is provided and you pick which ones you want to give to. The good thing is the catalog gives a percentage breakdown on each charity, how much goes to its cause and how much is used for "administrative" costs. Some charities have a very heavy administrative cost.

    We don't mind giving to our favorite charities, but I always had a bad taste in my mouth from the CFC.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.