Friday, January 10, 2014

Arizona Bound


Thursday Justin hopped back on a plane for his return to Norfolk.  His leave had come to end.  I didn’t get to spend a lot of time with him but I did  share some.  His mom had a list of requests plus there were other jj1specialties while home including lots of salmon, elk and razor clams.  I’m doubting those particular items are items the U.S. Navy furnishes for the sailors while on board ship.  We hated to see him go but we hope to visit him in Virginia again later this year.

Ice and snow engulfed many areas of the country.  However, Washington and Oregon didn’t experience any of that.  The weather was cooler and sometimes pretty nippy but many days, I could get by with a sweater. Arizona is definitely the place to be during the winter if it’s the warm weather one is looking for. 

Over the last few days we’ve been going through lots of old pictures and files.  It’s making me want to get my camera out again and start pictures.  Oh …. I’ve been taking pictures but the vast majority I would never post.  I’ve been amazed at some of the pictures that have been taken and ended up on Facebook.   I guess my idea of what is appropriate and what others may think is appropriate isn’t always the same.

One thing I did pick up was a few old super 8 movie reels.  My next project is trying to get those converted to  DVDs.  Years ago I rented a super 8 projector and sat in front of it with another camera copying the movies.  However, not so sure you can rent those things anymore.  That’s something I’ll be looking into for sure.


photo (3)
Friday finally rolled around.  That was my planned departure day.  First, we had a memorial service at Willamette National Cemetery in Portland to attend .. the second ceremony in three days.  . The short service was complete with a gun salute and Taps.  Even though that in itself was an awesome farewell, the most touching part was the remarkable eulogy written and given by the granddaughter.

My plan was to catch the 3:15 flight from Portland.  However thinphoto (4)gs clicked perfectly and Tammi had me at the airport by 10:30 which was just enough time to catch the 11:25 flight.  Sometimes things can work out better than planned. The flight was uneventful and Terry was waiting by the curb in Phoenix.  Where have the last three weeks gone?  Well, it's behind and now it’s time to get back to my world. The hard part is trying to remember where my world really is and where it left off.


‘Tis life on the road.



“Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong'. Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.”

7 comments:

  1. I'll be in Q sometime next week. See you there. Now it's time for you relax and take care of YOU !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the warn sunshine and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the past 3 weeks have been hard. You will soon be able to be relaxing with friends. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet Terry and Duchess were happy to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gracious, how could that little one read that. I am sure y'all were very proud of her.

    You have had a very emotional few weeks. Once you hit the Q,I hope you can sit back and relax with good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to relax and enjoy the sunshine. You've earned it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had some time with Justin, he cuts a fine figure in his uniform.

    Hope your head stops spinning now that you're back in Arizona and you get to enjoy YOUR life. :c)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.