Sunday, October 12, 2014

Columbus Day 2014


oct13aIt’s been a week since I’ve blogged so thought I needed to blog something. 

When Columbus Day rolls around there are a couple things that I’m reminded of.   For one, I’m reminded of the storm that occurred in 1962.  It was the strongest in Oregon but parts of Washington, California and even British Columbia felt the brunt of it.  The storm is known in the area as the Columbus Day storm as it struck on Columbus Day, October 12, 1962.  Wind gusts were well over 100 mph and catastrophic damage occurred.  Along the Oregon coast winds were recorded up to 145 mph. We had never seen such a storm.  Roofs were flying past our window as well as debris from just about everything.  My brother lost part of his house and moved his family in with us.

There was lots of debate at that time whether it was just a windstorm or a hurricane.  With winds that accompanied the storm, what they called it was the least of the problem.  The damage caused made it  the worst natural disaster to strike the US in that year.  The storm formed from the remnants of a typhoon off the California coast into a super storm .  With such strong wind gusts it not only was up to hurricane strength but up to category 3 strength.  It was more how oct13bit was formed than what it was called.  It was said that a storm like that would not happen more than once in 100 years.  Let’s just hope so.

That was the first event of the Columbus Day weekend that I remember .  The second was my father.  He died 28 years ago on this weekend.  It was sudden and he was only 71 years old.  I still miss him.

The City Council of Seattle has voted to change the name of the holiday from Columbus Day to “Indigenous Peoples' Day”.   As far as I’m concerned, they can call it what they want but it will always be Columbus Day to me. 


What are we doing?   Well, we are traveling … more on that down the road.

‘Tis life on the road. 

The old believe everything: the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.”

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that was some storm! You never know when something like that can happen again, hope it goes longer than 100 years.

    Looking forward to your traveling adventures. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure glad I wasn't in that area during that time. I would have been terrified !!

    BTW, I LOVE your header picture !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Indigenous Peoples' Day”....please let's get real here! What does that mean exactly, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible storm. I can't imagine being in that kind of wind. And I pray I never am. I cannot believe the nonsense of indigenous people day. I know it's been proven that Columbus probably doesn't deserve a special day but that is just plain stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an awful storm. The date my father died suddenly is burned into my brain, I will never need to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One heck of a storm that was.
    Enjoy your travelling , we are looking forward to it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.