Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Fantastic Ride - Heading West


Life is a song – sing it.  Life is a game – play it.  Life is a challenge – meet it.  Life is a dream – realize it.  Life is a sacrifice – offer it.  Life is love – enjoy it.


It was time to do a little itching.  I did just that.  Okay, so maybe it wasn’t in the motorhome but it was a chance to get on the road and revisit a few of my favorite places.  To begin with I headed west.  It was due west towards the coast.  I love the coast and I love the drive along Highway 4.  There is a cute little RV park that sits off the road.  We have spent a good deal of time in this park over the last few years.  The big ships travel this part of the Columbia heading towards Longview and Portland from the Pacific Ocean.  You can chart the ships online as they travel.  We love it and best of all is the price …. $10 a night for water and electricity with a dump on site.
_jul124_5



Next stop was Cathlamet at the ferry dock on Puget Island.  Now it’s not a big ferry but then again, it’s not a big island.  The ferry ride is a short one and it doesn’t take you very far.  It’s a short hop across the river to the Oregon side and Westport. 








_jul124_6




This little ferry holds about 9 cars and costs you $5 for the ride. 

It was just for the adventure of the trip and the adventure of the day.










_jul124_2 _jul124_3


_jul124_4





_jul124_10



Next stop was the Twilight Eagle Sanctuary.  I’ve stopped here several times before too.  I’ve never seen any eagles here but it must be a nesting and feeding area or it wouldn’t be here.  Maybe I just need binoculars.









It was supposed to be a beautiful day. The fog and the clouds were supposed to lift. That’s what was predicted for the beach town of Seaside. Well, it never lifted while I was there. It definitely wasn’t a hot day but heck, I was at the beach. I wasn’t swimming. Others were but not me. I was walking the beach, smelling the wonderful salt air and people watching. It was fantastic.


_jul124_13 _jul124_12


Seaside is a beautiful little beach town.  During the summer it is packed with tourists. There are many great seafood restaurants  and lots of activities for everyone including fun rides.


_jul124_11



The town pulls lots of interesting people to watch.  Some were swimming, some were enjoying the rides, eating seafood and even flying kites.  Then, there were those out building sand castles.








_jul124_14



Check this palace out.














_jul124_15


Someone started working on a roadster.  I wonder if they ever came back to finish it.













_jul124_16



It was a foggy day but it was still beautiful.  Before long … it was time to start the short 60 mile trip back. I love the beach no matter the weather.  I hadn’t been disappointed in the little day trip clouds or no clouds.












That was the day trip that was taken on Monday.  On that day travel was towards the West.  Now on Friday another day trip was taken.  This time the travel was towards the North.  We took Sandi with us and we checked out another area.  We have another one planned heading East and are still thinking on the one we do heading South.








FYI ---  I do have a Google+ ID.  Matter of fact while I was messing around with it, I discovered I actually have two.  Still I can't leave a comment on a blog requiring Google + without switching from my normal browser, Firefox, to Internet Explorer.  I spent quite some time on it the other day and that's when I found out if I switched to IE, it could comment.  I just can't using my Firefox but I prefer Firefox and that's what I use. There is a fix but right now I'm not so sure I want to hunt it down and spend the time figuring it out.  Maybe later ... maybe.  Heck, you know how busy I am! 

‘Tis life on the road.

15 comments:

  1. Now that was an wonderful trip to the coast, someday with get that far west and north.
    I used firefox for years, but switched to Google Chrome for a browser, I find it much faster. If you liked firefox think you will like Chrome even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what wonderful memories this post brought to me. Glad you're able to just go. I haven't had any trouble commenting and I use Firefox. But of course, I have no idea why I don't have any trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Obviously, I must have a glitch in my Firefox then. I'll check it out when it starts raining again.

      Delete
  3. You hit everyone of our "favorite" places. I switched to Google Chrome this week and I am loving it. I've never had a problem replying so guess I lucked out their. My glitch was not being able to upload pictures to my blog or Google Plus . Now everything works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed it...fantastic is right! There is just something so calming about the beach.

    All we have is Google...there are several blogs I cannot respond to, because we do not do the google +. Just haven't bothered!

    Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Seaside, we have many happy memories of taking our granddaughters there when they lived in Astoria. Sort of sad that they now live in Missouri, but we're sure glad it's closer so we can see they more often.

    I still am a fan of IE, even though I've tried both FF and Chrome. I guess I'm just old school.

    Nice picture of those two skinny teenagers, especially the one with the red hair. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember all those beautiful areas. It was just one year ago when we visited your lovely coast.

    Oh my goodness...where did Jeri go? You are skin and bones my dear but looking very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reminders of some of our favorite areas to visit as we start trips down the west coast.

    The Firefox problem you describe is likely due to one of the add-ons (extensions). If you happen to have 'McAfee Site Advisor' installed you could remove it, re-start Firefox and see if that fixes the problem. McAfee Site Advisor doesn't do anything useful anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We prefer Cannon Beach to Seaside but must admit we have never been there in the off season.

    Skin and bones is right, but hey, I can fix that. ;}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely day. Seaside is my favorite place on the coast. Dave's is Fort Stephens State Park.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure has been a long time since I have been in a bumper car:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally a picture of the new and improved. You are looking great Jeri!!! Greetings to you both and hope to see you this winter. Hugs, tom. (Dianne too)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok, enough of the Travel Logs. Where's the pictures of the BOAT and CRAB? Did you guys give up on Crabbing this year?

    Joe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.