Friday, April 12, 2013

We Moved .. We Didn’t Unhook .. Aargh!


A wedding is just like a funeral except you get to smell your own flowers.

Ever get all ready to move and get interrupted?  It happened to us and it wasn’t fun.  We decided to take _apr9a7our connections with us.   What connections?  Well, our power and our water, of course.  We all know how much easier it is to stay on the grid with the hookups.  I can now tell you it doesn’t work.  We know others who have done this so we’re guessing it was our turn.  This is our story and we’re sticking with it.

Sandi filled the deer feeder and the word got around.  Here they came!




Our motorhome finally got unloaded and cleaned out.  It was time to move it to the storage lot we have for the summer.  We plan on using it occasionally during the summer but for now it needed to be moved and room made for the blocks and boards we were having delivered for our other _apr121projects on the Cabin home base.

Out with the old   

It was one of those gradual mornings.  One person stopped by and then another person stopped by and needless to say, we got distracted.  I normally walk around the rig when Terry is raising the levels.  I didn’t.  I got on the phone and Terry moved.  Aargh!  What I saw was the motorhome going down the road dragging the water hose and the electrical connection behind it.





_apr122
The result?  Well, water was going everywhere by the cabin.  However, that was an easy fix – just turn it off but no damage.  There was damage though.  The motorhome electrical connection now needs to be rewired.  That’s not a hard fix either … about 15 minutes Terry figures.  I’m hoping he’s right.  With that behind us I finished my phone call and we drove into town.

  In with the new.




We got one project started and almost finished on Sunday.  Project number one was removing the big oversized rinky dink front door that really didn’t fit.  We also removed one of the windows and decided to keep the other.  I’ve long learned not to pay someone until the job is finished.  Terry is nicer than I am.  Terry wanted to pay the helper/ neighbor/builder before the inside was finished.  So Sunday afternoon, I paid him.  He never came back to work after that.  As of Wednesday he was off to another job.  Terry went ahead and finished the inside …  but that’s okay too.


Our lumber and five pallets of blocks were ordered from Home Depot and delivered on Wednesday.  The neighbor/builder was supposed to be helping with the deck.  However, that didn’t happen either.   The blocks are another thing since they weigh over 60 pounds each.

_apr127

In my last progress report … we were just getting bids and hadn’t started our projects.  Since then we’ve accomplished a bit more.  In addition to replacing the door, window, sheet rock and paint, we’ve also changed out all our blinds.  The porch is also done but now we’re trying to figure out if we want a rail or not.  We’ve also added a little planter between the porch and a barbecue landing.  A barbecue landing is a new project that we just thought about.  After all, according to the bid we received we’re saving about $10,000 doing all these projects our way. 

_apr126 _apr125

The only time I’ve had to see the pool is through the window. However, I have taken time to visit the exercise room. I really have no excuse because they both are about a minute walk from our place. It’s just that we really have been busy ---- really!


The blocks probably won’t get placed before we head back to Phoenix in a few days.  We really need to pick up the car we left there.  Terry will probably fly down on Tuesday.  He’ll have an opportunity to visit with his mom before I arrive on Thursday …. just in time for another ride north. 


My DNA has already been added to several different collections of genetic material.  However, that's not quite enough. In addition to my brother's DNA, I ordered two more DNA test kits.  Yes .. I'm obsessed with this stuff.  One of these kits is for Terry and the other kit is for my half-brother.  By testing my half-brother, it helps me figure out what genes and connections are from my maternal side and what genes are from my paternal side.    I have a couple cousins with kits coming in so that will be interesting too.  I've also signed up for a class in Useful Genetics.  I can hardly wait for that to start.

‘Tis life on the road.

12 comments:

  1. So far I have only pulled away without disconnecting our satellite dish, In Quartzsite when I was making a quick trip to the dumpstation. An no damage done there.
    The work is coming along just great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did this once. When our daughter originally brought us our portable sat dish when we were in a COE park in Virginia, we tried to move the mh to a different spot and didn't unhook the electric. Ed pulled up to a little to far and pulled out the electric. Ed isn't handy like Terry so it was an expensive fix. Now no matter how far we are moving, we always unhook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hate when people come up and start talking to us as soon as we pull up to a site or get ready to leave. We would think RVers would be much more considerate.

    Big oversized rinky dink front door...sounds like an oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! I hope winter comes quickly so you can get back on the road and rest! That is quite a plateful of projects you have queued up. Don't know how you find the time and energy to get them done. :cO

    On the other hand, at least you won't have a boring summer... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's a bummer! It's easy to get distracted when you're unhooking and the results are never very fun. Good luck with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't done that YET. But we're the ones who dropped the fifth wheel on the pickup bed cause we didn't double and triple check. Really nice that Terry can fix this stuff for you. I'm still hoping that you're going to be able to relax and enjoy all your hard work on your cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoot, I wish we could come. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you've planned a really buy for Terry, with lots of supervising for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there. Once I pulled the coffee machine of the counter as it was connected to the extension cord going out to the window and to my block heater. When I drove the JEEP of....the coffee went to the floor. BIG MESS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We tried to pull the boat out of the slip once, before the electric was disconnected. Big **BANG**, and the boat pulled to the side. Ugh. Haven't done it since then, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love the pics of the deer.

    I'd have to track down that helper/neighbor/builder and have a WORD with him !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're also guilty of dropping the 5th wheel on the pickup bed. Thankfully the pickup caught it and it didn't go to the ground! But the pickup bed is heavily dented.

    Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.