Monday, February 11, 2013

Genealogy Fair, JAG, Deployment


"If you rest, you rust."

The Southeast Regional Library held a Genealogy Fair on Saturday.  Different classes were _Feb9_2scheduled all day long.  I guess it’s kind of like going to an RV rally.  You pick the classes you want to attend, sign up and then attend.  Well, that’s what we did.  I did say WE because I drug Terry along with me.  The good thing was I only signed up for one class so he was okay with going too.  The class was on DNA.  Over the last few weeks I had been reading an awful lot about DNA and how it applies to genealogy.  I was excited about a class where I could learn so much more ….. or so I thought.  We all know a class is only as good as the instructor.  Well, this instructor stumbled a lot and read from whatever notes she had.  Her presentation picked up when she started telling her own family story.     I was hoping to learn more about DNA, chromosomes and genome results.   I walked away very disappointed.
_Feb9_3

I made Terry sit right in the front row as I wanted to listen to every single word.  I had grabbed a pad of paper and a pen from the RV before we left.  I thought I'd have lots of notes I might want to take.  When I got the pen out of my purse, I took a good long look at it.  Where in the world did I get this?  It certainly wasn’t from the place advertised on it …. Glen Eden Nudist Resort.  Honest … I don’t even know where that’s at … HONEST!  I know I’m a pen klepto but now am wondering who I picked it up from.  In the future I better be a little more careful who I swipe a pen from.  After all, I don’t want to give my grandkids the wrong idea.  

We didn’t get much of importance done that day.  Laundry was on our schedule but it didn’t get done until Sunday.  It felt good just to hang out and not do too much.  I think Duchess even enjoyed having us around.
-_Feb9_2
There were a few things we did accomplish though.   One was that the JAG finally got put where it belonged …. on the hood of the Jeep Wrangler!

We also stopped by the airport and picked up a ticket for Terry’s upcoming flight to Portland.  We could have waited until Tuesday but getting tickets can be a hassle if the lines are long and especially since we needed to go to two different terminals.   If we’re flying on American Airlines there is no hassle.  We don’t need a ticket but if we’re flying on another airline we have to stop at AA’s ticket counter and get a ticket to present to the airline we’re flying on.  One of these days we may be able to do this online but for now we have to do it the old fashioned way.  Since American Airlines is in terminal 3 and Southwest is in terminal 4, we got the ticket from American on Sunday.  On Tuesday he can get the ticket from Southwest.  Glad that’s now taken care of.

One more thing happened Sunday evening.  It was actually the most important thing of the day.  We got a late call from Justin.  His ship is being deployed.  We knew he would be going but didn’t know the exact time.   He’ll be gone for about 8 – 9 months.  Tears came to my eyes.  He had just returned to his ship as a certified Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer.  I told him not to jump in that water to save anyone without a life jacket and if the Admiral got mad to tell him his grandma told him not to.  I don’t know that he’ll listen but I did my part.  We’ll miss talking to him for the next few months. We’re mighty proud of that boy!  

gravelly

That was actually the second time in the day that tears showed up.  The first was earlier in the day when we got the news that my aunt may not last out the week.  She's 93 years old.  Most of us won't make it that long but it's still sad when the time is close.  I did get to talk to her on the phone.  That was a good thing.

Monday is here and we’ll be busy today but I certainly didn’t like walking Duchess this morning … in the rain!  What’s with this?  I thought we were in Arizona where it rarely rains.


‘Tis life on the road.

11 comments:

  1. The Genealogy airs sounded interesting, my wife is really into it.
    We in the Louisiana swamps and the rain is not stoppin here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you drugged Terry to go along with you? You'd think he'd have gone along willingly. I won't comment about you nudist colony pen... :cD

    Now the hood of your new ride looks much better with the ornament. Do you call it your JAGEEP now?

    As hard as it may feel, Justin will do very well on his deployment. He's a special young man that is well trained for his job. It will be quite an adventure and learning experience for him. Our country is fortunate to have good men like him that have stepped up to keep us safe and free.

    And that Admiral better know he is outranked by a loving grandmother. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I was wondering if you were going to put the JAG on the Jeep. Good Stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sorry that the seminar wasn't what you were hoping for. I have been there, done that too many times.

    Now fuss up...those that know you two, know how you just love running around in the buff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Jag looks super on your Jeep. I will add Justin's name to my prayer list. I'm thankful for the men and women who serve our country and take every opportunity I can to tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get there Jaguar symbol? We have a Jeep too! That nudist-pen really cracked me up. And think that it was Toni's....hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry got it from our son for Christmas 2011. We love it. He may have ordered it online. I'm thinking Toni was teasing. That's what I'm thinking .... maybe ???

      Delete
  7. Love the Jag hood ornament - and, the nudist pen! Do you sleepwalk??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny ! I hope that's not where I got the pen!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.